A Court of Thorns and Roses - Sarah J. Maas
*Received this book from Netgalley for free in exchange for an honest review. :)

OMG!
I loved this book. I mean, I loved this book!
This story. This setting. These characters. I loved this book.

First of all: the characters.
My boy, Tamlin. He's awesome. He's the badass High Fae god and I so want him to be my book boyfriend. I can totally see how The Beast inspired his character. He was gruff and sometimes, awkward, but became so thoughtful and vulnerable and I love him!
Feyre is, again, a bad ass. She refuses to give in at any point in this book. She makes it clear what she wants and is willing to fight for it, lost cause or not. Whether it's her family or Tamlin or against Amarantha (eeek!) or just to prove herself, she does not give in. She's tough and loyal and stubborn and I totally have a girl crush on her.
I think my favorite characters, though were Lucien and yes, Rhys. Lucien because he's sort of the sidekick, who though less powerful, totally tells Tamlin how it is. He owns up to his mistakes, but he's also sly. Though not as sly as Rhys, who I came to admire by the end. He was hardly heroic, but there was still something about him that I liked. Maybe that he took a chance of Feyre when the odds were stacked against her. He was sneaky and underhanded, but it really was for the good of everyone and he did his best to help her in her challenges.
Then there's the story. I really don't even know where to begin with this. At first, I thought the pace was slow. I didn't think I would get into it at all. But when Tamlin finally came to claim Feyre, things really took off and I could not get enough of this. There were all sorts of creatures and romance and fighting and battles and myths and fairies and mystery. There was some of everything.
I really didn't expect the story to go the way that it did when Feyre faced her challenges. I thought she's probably go back into the middle of a battle. I'm glad she didn't. This was much more interesting.
The setting was so rich and vibrant, even if they didn't leave the castle that much. In fact, a great deal of the story was told at the breakfast table. Still, I could see the forest. I could imagine the magic that was always settled in it.
I would be remiss if I didn't at least mention Feyre's family. Like Rhys, I came to respect Nesta. She was a spoiled brat in the beginning, and truthfully at the end as well, but she did what she had to do while Feyre was away.
I still don't care for her father, and I don't think I ever will. I think he was lazy and useless. Injured or not, he could have done more for his family.
I think the riddle was too predictable, which is the only shortcoming I found with this book.