Dead Is the New Black - Marlene Perez
Dead is the New Black is probably one of the funnest, quirkiest books I've read in a while. There's a mix of everything in this book. Mystery. Romance. Paranormal. And just plain girlish fun.
Daisy is fresh and easy to like. She is confident and doesn't trail after Ryan or change herself to fit in with the other cheerleaders, but she still has her moments of self-doubt, which makes her human and likable.
Ryan and Daisy are cute. It's not a big, epic romance. They probably aren't going to be sacrificing themselves for each other any time soon. And it's not insta-love either. Even though this is a "paranormal" book, they are pretty much a typical teenage couple, which is what makes me root for them.
I'll admit that I hated Sam at the beginning of this book. I really did. I thought she was shallow and stuck-up, which she was. But she warms up to Daisy and I think they may rehash their friendship.
I love the idea of Nightshade City Council as witches, werewolves, vampires, and led by a skeleton. This is a supernatural book that doesn't take itself too seriously and that's why I like it. It doesn't exactly take me to another world, but there's enough there that it's still got a fantasy edge.
The story line is pure fantasy. The cheerleading coach as a psionic vampire? I love it. And even that was done is a funny way at the end. I love the little twist where Sam gave everyone the ankh bracelets to protect them and Daisy thought they were how the coach was linked to the girls.